[Tutor] Data storage, SQL?

Bill Kranec billk at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 11 20:29:51 CET 2005

I also recommend learning SQL.  It is not very hard to learn, and
sometimes it may be advantageous to do data manipulation directly in the
database, rather than with Python.  As far as databases go, I would
recommend Firebird, as I have found that it has a good number of
features, is free, and yet is also fairly easy to install and run, even
on Windows (I could never get MySQL to work quite right). FlameRobin
(http://flamerobin.sourceforge.net/) is a nice GUI interface for Firebird.

>(Maybe I could do a SQL primer as part of my advanced
>topics section in the tutorial... hmm. An intro to SQL then
>the next topic showing how to use the Python DBAPI to
>link SQL and Python - any takers for that idea?)
>
>Alan G

I would love to read an in depth explanation of the Python DBAPI.  The
only thing preventing me from connecting my Python and SQL programs is a
lack of understanding of the API, which boils down to ( I think ):

1. How to actually pass SQL code to the database using the API (A good
example is all I really need).
2. Why does the API use cursor objects to pass commands to the
database?  Isn't this inefficient from the SQL point of view?
3. What is the best way to deal with the returned result set?  Can I
assign it to a list or dictionary?

I apologize if any of these questions are overly ignorant, and would be
very appreciative for any help.

Bill