[Tutor] Idle needles

Lobster zen45800 at zen.co.uk
Sat Feb 12 16:34:03 CET 2005

Danny Yoo wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Feb 2005, Lobster wrote:
>

>>Idols subprocess didn't make connection Either Idle can't start or
>>personal firewall is blocking the connection =========
>>
>>Now I am getting the added message that the "socket connection is
>>refused" (recently updated to the latest Zone Alarm)
>>

>Hi Ed,
>
>That's further evidence that suggests that Zone Alarm is fighting IDLE.
>

>Let me see... here's a section of the IDLE documentation README that talks
>about this issue:
>
>"""
>IDLE displays a new message upon startup:  some "personal firewall"
>  kinds of programs (for example, ZoneAlarm) open a dialog of their
>  own when any program opens a socket.  IDLE does use sockets, talking
>  on the computer's internal loopback interface.  This connection is not
>  visible on any external interface and no data is sent to or received
>  from the Internet.  So, if you get such a dialog when opening IDLE,
>  asking whether to let pythonw.exe talk to address 127.0.0.1, say yes,
>  and rest assured no communication external to your machine is taking
>  place.  If you don't allow it, IDLE won't be able to start.
>"""

Yes I did read that Danny  - many thanks

>Just to nail this issue down: try turning ZoneAlarm off, just for a
>moment, and then start up IDLE.  (You can always turn ZoneAlarm back on
>after this experiment.)  If you don't see any problems with IDLE, then
>it's almost certainly a ZoneAlarm vs. IDLE confrontation, and we can focus
>on that.
>
>Good luck to you!

Turned off Zone Alarm
and closed down IDLE
on opening IDLE - I got the socket error message
and the other error message
- so not zone alarm (it seems)

- closing down IDLE and pressing ctrl alt and del
I notice that 3 copies of pythonw are in memory

I closed these down and IDLE is working again

What I am going to do next is download the excellent
Byte of Python tutorial and work offline with firefox and see what happens

- any other ideas welcome
(the only other thing I have different in IDLE is I store my Python docs in
my docs rather than the default - probably irrelevant but . . .)

Thank you very much for helping with this - it is holding me up
and I am rearing to "go with the snake. . ."

:-)

Ed Jason (aka Dragon Shrimp - aka Lobster)

PS - had a look at Crimson Editor and PSpad - very good but not quite for me
I rather like IDLE - it is specific - focussed