[Tutor] Basic terminology

Bill Mill bill.mill at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 22:30:35 CET 2005

A remainder is what's left over after a division:

10/3 = 3 remainder 1
12/5 = 2 remainder 2
27/3 = 9 remainder 0

and the modulus operator (which is % in python) gives you that remainder:

10%3 = 1
12%5 = 2
27%3 = 0

See http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Remainder.html and
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Modulus.html for more formal
explanations. In particular, it explains some deeper meanings of the
word "modulus". Once you get into group theory, it can start to mean
some related but different things.

Peace
Bill Mill
bill.mill at gmail.com