[Tutor] dictionary dispatch for object instance attributes question

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Wed Feb 16 22:49:21 CET 2005

Jeff Shannon said unto the world upon 2005-02-16 16:09:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:48:31 -0500, Brian van den Broek
> <bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca> wrote:

<SNIP some of Jeff's responses to my evaluation of his earlier
suggestions>

> Yes, if you know that you will only have one header per line, then
> it's reasonable to process them one line at a time.  You could
> alternatively have the TP_file gather all the header lines for a given
> node into a list, and then process that list to create the Node
> instance, but given the specifics of your case you probably wouldn't
> gain anything over your current approach by doing so.
>
> This is what makes programming so interesting -- there's so many
> different choices possible, and which one is best depends on a large
> number of factors.  When writing a program for some task, the best
> design for a particular set of circumstances may be completely
> different than the best design for a somewhat different particular set
> of circumstances -- and the best design for general usage is probably
> an altogether different thing still.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Jeff Shannon

Thanks Jeff,

the confirmation that my assessment made sense is very helpful. Due to
the my lack of experience (as discussed in my response to Kent) I'm
always uncomfortable rejecting a proposed solution -- is my assessment
that the solution isn't the best a product of that inexperience, or am
I on to something? So, thanks for taking the time to `bless' my
assessment.

Best to all,

Brian vdB