[Tutor] Active Python

Terry Carroll carroll at tjc.com
Sat Feb 19 02:20:03 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Jeff Shannon wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:54:43 -0800 (PST), Terry Carroll <carroll at tjc.com> wrote:
> >
> > I prefer the HTML, because I can then run searches against it from
> > outside the help system.
>
> Interesting -- I prefer the CHM (Windows helpfile), because it's
> internally indexed.  I feel that the internal search is more
> convenient than external searches would be.  But I suppose that
> there's room for reasonable people to disagree, here. :)

Sure, and I'd expect I'm in the minority.

I use Agent Ransack for searching files on my system.  I do a search for,
for example, a filename of html$ containing the word "socket"  and can get
a pretty good look at what I'm looking for.

I'll bet that the CHM file can do that at least as well, but since
I use Agent Ransack for all my document searches (Python-related or
otherwise), it's most convenient for me use one consistent mechanism.

I'll tell you, if Google desktop had a way of limiting searches to
specific directories, I'd be in heaven.