[Tutor] Unicode issues

Michael Lange klappnase at freenet.de
Thu Feb 24 21:10:21 CET 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 07:51:04 -0500
Kent Johnson <kent37 at tds.net> wrote:

> Michael Lange wrote:
> > I *thought* I would have to convert the user input which might be any encoding back into
> > byte string first
>
> How are you getting the user input? Is it from the console or from a GUI?

It's a (Tkinter) gui, but anyway, I think I now understand why this idea is total nonsense.

> If your intent is to create a unicode string, try this:
>      if not isinstance(result, unicode):
>          result = result.decode(sys.stdin.encoding)

Ok, user input must be checked whether it's unicode or not and if necessary be decoded to
unicode with system encoding. For internal operations I should then use only unicode strings
and if I need to print something to stdout I must encode it again with system encoding, right?

> This article gives a lot of good background:
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html
>
> I have written an essay about console encoding issues. At the end there is a collection of links to
> more general Python and Unicode articles.
> http://www.pycs.net/users/0000323/stories/14.html
>
> Kent

That's great! Exactly the kind of articles I've been looking for but couldn't find.

Thanks!!!

Michael