[Tutor] Reading Tutor with gmail: monospace fonts

Michael Dunn misha.dunn at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 23:43:20 CET 2005

Hi all,

This is slightly off topic, but I've noticed a lot of people are using
gmail accounts to post to tutor and I just wanted to share a useful
trick I just learned for making gmail display and edit mail with a
monospace rather than proportional font. I'm sure anyone who's tried
it agrees that significant whitespace means that python and

Basically, you need to get your browser to override the stylesheet of
the page with the following snippet of css:

div.msg div.mb, .cm, .tb {
        font-family: monospace !important;
        font-size: 12px !important;
}

In Firefox, you add it to the userContent.css file in your preferences
(you'll probably have to create this, see
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit). With Safari on MacOSX
you make a css file anywhere you like (I used
~/Library/Safari/MyPrefs.css), add this snippet, and then select the
file from the "Advanced" tab in Safari's Preferences. I don't know
about other browsers, but the same sort of thing is almost certainly
possible.

Cheers, Michael