[Tutor] puzzling traceback -- what to do with it?

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Mon Feb 28 08:02:22 CET 2005

Hi all,

I just ran a program of mine and got the traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "C:\PYTHON24\lib\idlelib\rpc.py", line 233, in asyncqueue
     self.putmessage((seq, request))
   File "C:\PYTHON24\lib\idlelib\rpc.py", line 333, in putmessage
     raise IOError
IOError

This stumps me, as I've almost no idea what rpc.py, putmessage, and
asyncqueue are. (A quick glance at the code made me realize my
code-reading skills and knowledge of IDLE aren't up to tracking this
down on my own.)

Furthermore, the code that produced this runs just fine via other
methods (running from within SciTe, the python command line, etc.)
And, sometimes, but not always, closing the offending code, running
something else, and then trying again with the code that caused the
traceback makes it work.

I'm thinking IDLE bug, but also that it would be a good idea to
solicit opinions/expertise here before running off screaming BUG to
the IDLE folks :-)

Any suggestions for what the problem might be, or how to narrow it
down before reporting?

Thanks and best,

Brian vdB