pickle juice and YAML (Re: [Tutor] dumping .pck files)

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Wed Jan 5 19:18:30 CET 2005

> Alan Gauld wrote:
> > (Who hates XML almost as much as Java! :-)
>
> IMO dom4j makes XML quite easy to use from Java and really pleasant
> in Jython. The integrated XPath support essentially gives you a
> query engine on your data.
> http://www.dom4j.org

> Kent
> (Who hates Java but has come to like XML)

My problems stem from the massive increase in bandwidth
and CPU resource required by XML messages. Actually I
don't mind XML for what it was originally intended:
a cross platform self-describing data exchange mechamnism.
Its the atrtempt to make XML into the foundation of the
computing infrastructure I hate, its quite obvious the
people pushing XML are either ignorant of the cost
implications on the network and hardware or sell
networks and hardware, or both!

If you compare the bandwidth requirements of a binary RPC
call (such as Java RMI or CORBA) they are about 1-2 *orders
of magnitude* less than the equivalent SOAP web service!

If your 2MB T1/E1 WAN is struggling to cope with the HTML
overload now how much will an upgrade to 34MB ATM
infrastructure needed for Web Service integration cost?!!

You occasionally see the CPU factor mentioned (again an
order of magnitude increase in CPU power) but I don't think
I've ever seen a mention of the bandwidth impacts. New CPUs
are relatively cheap compared to networks... And as for your
work-from-home DSL users forget it!

XML: A technology devised for developers by developers
- and paid for by users.

End of rant! :-)

Alan G.