[Tutor] trouble getting a list to update

Vincent Wan wan at walrus.us
Thu Jan 6 23:43:53 CET 2005

Dear Danny,

On Jan 6, 2005, at 12:59 PM, Danny Yoo wrote:
> Can you show us a snippet of the file output?  I'm not immediately
> seeing
> anything particular with your debugging output statements:

> Like the computer, I don't yet understand what the problem is.  *grin*

> If you can point us at the output that looks weird to you, and tell us
> what you expected to see instead and why, that will help us a lot to
> better understand the situation.

Here is some sample output:

Time is 2 the genome is 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
base 0 = 0
base 1 = 0
base 2 = 0
base 3 = 0
base 4 = 0
base 4 mutated to 1
base 5 = 0
base 6 = 0
base 7 = 0
base 8 = 0
base 9 = 0

*** The first kind of error appears here:
Time is 3 the genome is 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
*** The line above should have read:
*** Time is 3 the genome is 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
*** print out of genome in the main loop on pass 3 does not reflect the
mutation on pass 2
base 0 = 0
base 1 = 0
base 2 = 0
base 3 = 0
base 4 = 1
base 5 = 0
base 6 = 0
base 6 mutated to 1
base 7 = 0
base 8 = 0
base 9 = 0

*** again here
Time is 4 the genome is 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
*** should be :Time is 4 the genome is 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0
base 0 = 0
base 1 = 0
base 2 = 0
base 3 = 0
base 4 = 1
base 5 = 0
base 6 = 1
base 7 = 0
base 8 = 0
base 9 = 0

Time is 5 the genome is 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
base 0 = 0
base 1 = 0
base 1 mutated to 1
base 2 = 0
base 3 = 0
base 4 = 1
base 5 = 0
base 6 = 1
base 7 = 0
base 8 = 0
base 9 = 0

*** now genome is correctly updated!
Time is 6 the genome is 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0
base 0 = 0
base 1 = 1
base 2 = 0
base 3 = 0
base 4 = 1
base 4 mutated to 1
base 5 = 0
base 6 = 1
base 7 = 0
base 8 = 0
base 9 = 0

Thank you,

Vincent

PhD Candidate
Committee on the Conceptual and Historical Studies of Science
University of Chicago

PO Box 73727
Fairbanks, AK 99707

wan at walrus.us