[Tutor] Slightly OT - Python/Java

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Mon Jan 10 02:27:16 CET 2005

Liam Clarke wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been forcing myself to learn Java, and I was wondering if
> anyone's used Jython.

Yes, quite a bit.

> To clarify - Jython generates Java bytecode?

Yes. Jython is a Python compiler and runtime written in Java. It integrates very well with Java
libraries.

> Personally, I should've learnt Java first (although my success at that
> without my Python experiences would've been limited.)

Because Python has spoiled you for anything else? ;)

> I find it's real nasty forcing myself to think through very (relative
> to Python) narrow hoops to keep the Java compiler happy.

Yep.

> PS I'm only learning Java because it's what they teach the COSC 1st
> year course that I plan to do.

My guess is that if they are using Java in the course, that is what you will have to use. Jython
*is* an implementation of Python - a Jython program looks like Python, has the syntax and semantics
of Python. Though the programs will run without installing Python - all you need is the Java runtime
and Jython libraries. But I think it's a long shot and you will probably have to bite the bullet and
learn Java.

Kent