[Tutor] Modifying game of life

Kooser, Ara S askoose at sandia.gov
Mon Jan 10 18:53:37 CET 2005

I was trying to modify the Game of Life to a percolation model (you can
pick what the probability of each point being occupied). I wrote the def
for the percolation however when I print the world all I get is
NONE NONE NONE NONE
Etc...

I know my problem is in the line  world[i, j] = percolation(perc). The
original code that Danny wrote had the line
world[i,j]= random.choice([LIVE,DEAD]). I am guessing that Danny's code
give a 50/50 chance of a site being occupied and assigns that to i,j . I
do not have the correct syntax to make the world[i,j] go through the
percolation def. I think i and j are not getting assigned a value.

Does anyone have an suggestions, explanations, websites? Thanks.

Ara

import random

perc = raw_input("Please enter a threshold between 0-1.  ")
raw_input("Press return to make a world")
PERSON, EMPTY = '*', '.'

def percolation(perc):
    randval = random.random()
    PERSON, EMPTY = '*', '.'