[Tutor] Making Windows Text Editors Compile and Run Python

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Mon Jan 10 20:26:06 CET 2005

I use TextPad for Python and Jython development.

There is a Python syntax highlighter available on the TextPad web site you may be interested in.

It's pretty easy to create a new tool in TextPad to run the current window. Here is a summary of my
setup:

In TextPad preferences, create a new tool. Go to the configure screen for the tool and enter
Command: C:\Python24\python.exe or whatever the path is to your installation
Parameters: $File
Initial Folder: $FileDir
Regular expression: ^.*"([^"]+)", *line ([0-9]+)
File: 1
Line: 2

You can't run an interactive program from TextPad, you have to go to the command line for that.

Kent