[Tutor] style question: when to "hide" variable, modules

Paul Tremblay phthenry at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 14 19:35:07 CET 2005

During the recent discussion on jython, a poster
brought up the good point that one should hide
variables and modules to indicate that they are
not for public use:

self.__for_internal_purposes = 5

__internal_stuff.py
"""
This module only makes sense for use with
the parent module.
"""

So one could write several modules using these
guidelines. One could then issue the command
from a shell pydoc internal_stuff, and sure enough,
one gets a nice listing of all the methods with the
__methods listed first, signalling to someone who
hasn't written the program (or to the author who
returns to it a few years later), that one shouldn't
look at these methods when looking what is useful
from the script.

My question is, how far should one take these guidlines?

I am working on an OO script with several modules that
backs up a hardrive. There will be about 10 modules, but
really only *one* of them, called backup, would be used
as a pubilc interface. Should I name the rest of them things
like __handle_archive.py, __file_system.py, and so on? That
seems odd, since I have never seen this done before. However,
it does have an elegance of clearly telling someone how to
hook into the modules.

Also, maybe more importantly, I want to know how to handle
attributes that need to be shared. Imagine that there are around
20 attributes, such as the level the program runs at, and the number
of the disk being copied that need to be shared with different
modules.  Right now, my setup looks like this:

# this module is called backup.py

class Backup:

  __init__(self, verbose, level ):
   self.__make_objects()
   self.verbose = verbose
   self.level = level

  def __make_objects(self):
    self.burn_obj = paxbac.burn.Burn(self)
    self.archive_obj = paxbac.archive.Archive(self)

  def get_disk(self):
    return self.__disk

   def set_disk(self, the_num):
      self.__disk = the_num

  def backup(self):
     archive_obj.archive()
     burn_obj.burn()

*****

#this is aother module called burn.py

class Burn:
  def __init__(self, main):
      self.__main = main

  def burn(self):
     cd_num = self.main.get_disk()
     if self__main.level > 3:
        sys.stdout.write('Burning disk %s\n' %cd_num)

****

The main module backukp provides a number of public
methods that are really not public. For examle, no
one is going to want to use this module to find
out what disk the method is on. If I wanted to
be very strict with public and private variables
and methods, I would have to:

1. change burn.py to __burn.py

2. create a module called __attributes.py, create an
    object in burn.py called self.__attributes_obj, and pass
    this object to each method.

These two steps seem to take things a bit far. On the other
hand, one could look at the set of modules and immediately
know how to use them.

Thanks

Paul