[Tutor] Re: Fw: Please submit to tutor list: dictionary update prob

Eri Mendz erimendz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 10:07:49 CET 2005

Kent Johnson <kent37 <at> tds.net> writes:

> Jacob S. wrote:
> >> sorry to send this to you but if you may, kindly send to tutor list as im
> >> no longer subscribed.  my problem is in the update dict portion: it just
> >> doesnt update regardless how many contacts i add. kindly advise where
> >> my mistake is or code gone wrong. the rest of the options i will do on my
> >> own so just hold off the helps for now. appreciate all your good help.
>
> >> def update_dict(d, f):
> >>    ''' update the saved dictionary file '''
> >>
> >>    read = open(f, 'rb')
> >>    newdic = cPickle.load(read)
> >>    newdic.update(d)
> >>    read.close()
>
> You don't do anything with newdic. My guess is you want to dump it back to the
file so it is saved.

this is what i tried:
read = open(f, 'rb')
newdic = cPickle.load(read)
newdic.update(d)
read.close()

write = open(f, 'wb')
cPickle.dump(f, write)
write.close()

but it 'overwrites' the saved dic. can you rw in one go, dump and load the
updated dict instantly??

sending this in gmane mail2news gateway.

--
regards,
erimendz