[Tutor] Should this be a list comprehension or something?

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Sat Jan 29 10:10:17 CET 2005

Alan Gauld said unto the world upon 2005-01-28 16:28:
>>>So you've been looking at Eiffel then?
>>>:-)
>>
>>I don't get this joke, but it sounds like the basis for it
>>would be interesting.  Can you explain?
>

> Bertrand Meyer, the inventor of Eiffel uses rich text to display
> code in his books. The commercial Eiffel IDE that his company
> ISE sells used to display the code the same way. Thus different
> fonts were used for comments, keywords etc as well as the
> usual syntax colouring. I note that the freeware version of the
> tool seems to be more conventional in approach!

<SNIP>

> Alan G.

[Alan posted the Eiffel reference in response to my 'suggestion' we
switch to MS Word format for writing code.]

Thanks for explaining that, Alan. I'd heard of Eiffel, but that was as
far as that went. (I was just going for maximally silly with the Word
suggestion.)

I am a bit surprised by your description and links. I like scite a
lot, but the first time I fired it up and saw my code in a
non-monospace font, I just about recoiled in horror. Once I figured
out how to switch that, I felt much better, as my lack of previous
programming experience meant I didn't have a recoil in horror over
Python's use of whitespace. I'd felt left out ;-)

Best to all,

Brian vdB