[Tutor] What's wrong with this code?

Liam Clarke cyresse at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 12:15:09 CEST 2005

And please, please, post the whole error message, as it specifies where the
error occurred.

Oh, yes, and I think I answered this -

"
I meant to ask why the main part after the password is not working right.
No one has answered that yet. When I run the code and try to load a file
that has been saved, a TypeError appears.
"

Try id[site] and passcard[site] not id(site) and passcard(site). It'll make
a world of difference, honest.

On 7/7/05, Danny Yoo <dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Hi Nathan,
>
> Other folks are pointing out why you're getting certain error messages.
> You may also want to consider breaking up the long second-half of the
> program into into its own set of functions. I believe that the second
> half could look something like this:
>
> ######
> while menu_choice != 9:
> menu_choice = input("Choose an option:")
> if menu_choice == 1:
> add_login_command()
> elif menu_choice == 2:
> lookup_login_command()
> elif menu_choice == 3:
> remove_login_command()
> elif menu_choice == 4:
> display_login_command()
> elif menu_choice == 5:
> save_login_command()
> elif menu_choice == 6:
> load_login_command()
> ######
>
> The idea behind the break-up here is to make it a little easier to see, at
> a high level, how the program works. As a side benefit, it should help to
> avoid wacky things like certain menu choices munging up the variables used
> by other menu choices.
>
> Finally, by physcially shortening that loop, it's easier to see that we'll
> always ask for a menu_choice whenever we hit the start of the loop. In
> contrast, the original code is so long that we may have forgotten, which
> is why each menu command appears to repeat the "Choose an option:"
> question.
>
> (When you learn a little more about Python, we can talk about the concept
> of "dispatch tables" to further dissolve that code, but let's talk about
> that later.)
>
> I guess I'm trying to say: style can mattes because it can help you fix
> your program's bugs faster. *grin*
>

> Best of wishes to you!

'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you damn well
please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.'