[Tutor] OT, Tcl & Python

Luis N tegmine at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 10:19:05 CEST 2005

Hi,

I was wondering if someone knowledgeable of both Tcl and Python could
suggest whether it would be a good or a bad idea to write a Python/Tk
application, with the motive to rewrite the application in Tcl/Tk once
completed. My reason for considering this route is that I have never written
a single line of Tcl code nor coded a Tk application in the past. My
motivation is the greater ease of deployment across systems that Tcl seems
to offer, with Starkits and Starpacks, http://www.equi4.com/starkit.html Tcl
also appears useful to learn, for writing scripts in tclsh, etc.

I've experimented with py2exe in the past, which seems fine for Windows,
although I have never tried py2app, and this approach seems cumbersome. A
typical GUI app is approximately 5 MB in python, distributed as a collection
of files in a folder, whereas a Tcl Starpack is a compact 1 MB, distributed
as a single file executable.

Sincerely,

Luis