[Tutor] File transfer

Alan G alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Mon Jul 18 13:20:14 CEST 2005

> I need to transfer a file from a "client" over a normal telephone
> call (no

You still need some kind of protocol between the two computers.
Common protocol for file transfers include xmodem and zmodem and
ISTR seeing modules for each of them on the vaults of parnassus.

You could do it at the raw data level if you also have control of
the remote computer, but thats hard, you effectively have to write
your own protocol... If you are on unix you could use the 'fcntl'
module.
I think there is a non standard 'serial' module somewhere too.

> ISP) or an internet connection (thro ISP) to a central "server".

That's probably easiest using the standard ftplib module.

> The "server" needs to open this file process it and then output a
> file which
> then needs to be sent back to the above client.

Same principles apply provided you have access to the remote box.
If you need to rely on it using existing tools it might get a tad
more tricky!

No idea about plone however...

Alan G.