[Tutor] Parsing problem

Liam Clarke cyresse at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 17:21:12 CEST 2005

Hi Paul,

That is fantastic. It works, and using that pp.group is the key with the
nested braces.

I just ran this on the actual file after adding a few more possible values
inside the group, and it parsed the entire header structure rather nicely.

Now this will probably sound silly, but from the bit

header = {...
}

it continues on with

province = {...
}

and so forth.

Now, once it reads up to the closing bracket of the header section, it
returns that parsed nicely.
Is there a way I can tell it to continue onwards? I can see that it's
stopping at one group.

Pyparsing is wonderful, but boy... as learning curves go, I'm somewhat over
my head.

I've tried this -

Code http://www.rafb.net/paste/results/3Dm7FF35.html
Current data http://www.rafb.net/paste/results/3cWyt169.html

assignment << (pp.OneOrMore(pp.Group( LHS + EQUALS + RHS )))

to try and continue the parsing, but no luck.

I've been running into the

File "c:\python24\Lib\site-packages\pyparsing.py", line 1427, in parseImpl
raise maxException
pyparsing.ParseException: Expected "}" (at char 742), (line:35, col:5)

hassle again. From the CPU loading, I'm worried I've got myself something
very badly recursive going on, but I'm unsure of how to use validate()

I've noticed that a few of the sections in between contain values like this
-

foo = { BAR = { HUN = 10 SOB = 6 } oof = { HUN = { } SOB = 4 } }

and so I've stuck pp.empty into my RHS possible values. What unintended side
effects may I get from using pp.empty? From the docs, it sounds like a
wildcard token, rather than matching a null.

Using pp.empty has resolved my apparent problem with empty {}'s causing my
favourite exception, but I'm just worried that I'm casting my net too wide.

Oh, and, if there's a way to get a 'last line parsed' value so as to start
parsing onwards, it would ease my day, as the only way I've found to get the
whole thing parsed is to use another x = { ... } around the whole of the
data, and now, I'm only getting the 'x' returned, so if I could parse by
section, it would help my understanding of what's happening.

I'm still trial and error-ing a bit too much at the moment.

Regards,

Liam Clarke