[Tutor] Python and Excel

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 27 22:52:36 CEST 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Xabier Gonzalez wrote:

> Honestly, I´m new in Python. I wanted to know about the possibility of
> importing .txt text files from Excel and manage the contents (creating
> graphics...) using Python. I´ve read about the win32com module and I
> would like to find a good example just to take the right way.

Hi Xabier,

It's possible and very doable.  The canonical reference to doing this
stuff seems to be the book "Python Programming on Win32", which talks
about the specific issues Python programmers have to know to work with
Windows-specific stuff.

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonwin32/

Unfortunately, many of us here don't have win32api expertise.  If you're
interested in doing win32api programming, your best bet is to talk with
the python-win32 mailing list folks: they should be able to give you good
references.  But if you have general Python questions, please feel free to
ask here; we'll be glad to help.

Good luck!