[Tutor] mysterious Python error

Tom Cloyd tomcloyd at bestmindhealth.com
Sat Jul 30 20:42:42 CEST 2005

I'm working on a WinXP SP-2 OS.

I'm too ill-informed to figure this out: When I execute

C:\Python24\python.exe

I get

'import site' failed.; use -v for traceback
ActivePython 2.4.1 Build 247 ...

I then ran this from a DOS window, and tried to redirect the -v output to
a text file, so I could include it, but nothing I did was successful. I
can't imagine why the output wouldn't redirect, but it would not. the file
remained empty.

The output from the python.exe -v command was verbose. The import that
failed was "import sitecustomize", which is in
..\lib\sitepackages\sitecustomize.py

There was also protest about another line in that file: sys
setdefaultencoding('utf-8') --
"NameError: name 'sys' is not defined."

The interpreter DID become active, after all this.

I attempted to fix this by removing and reinstalling the ActivePython
2.4.1 Windows package. It didn't change anything at all.

Can anyone suggest what I might do with this?

Thanks for your help.

-- Tom

Tom Cloyd, MS MA, LMHC
Private practice Psychotherapist
Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< BestMindHealth.com / tc at bestmindhealth.com >>