[Tutor] Now what do I do?(was Re: When I run this code, it just keeps repeating.)

python-tutor@toddmaynard.com python-tutor at toddmaynard.com
Sun Jul 31 04:55:42 CEST 2005

You are almost there.....

Do you undestand why you are getting the output that you are getting?

Pretend that you are the computer and walk through what happens when you enter
9 at the menu:

 while cal_opt != 9:
     menu()
     cal_opt = cal()     # This is where you entered '9' so cal_opt = '9'
     if cal_opt == 1:   # False so skipped
         X = input("First number:" )
         Y = input("Second number:" )
         print X, "+", Y, "= ",X + Y

    <-- code cut out -->

     elif cal_opt == 7:  # False so skipped to else....
         X = input("Number to find the square root of:" )
         print "The square root of", X, " = ",X**0.5
     else:  #.... skipped to here. You never checked for an == '9'
         print "That's not an option. Try again."
         menu()  #menu is printed
         cal()  # You entered 6, but it isn't saved in any variable
                  # From here, the loop starts over at the while up top.
                  # this time the while is false because cal_opt = '9' so
                  # the computer goes to the first line outside of the loop
 print "Goodbye"   # which is this.

So the output makes sense, even if it isn't what you intended.  There are a
couple of ways to fix this.  Can you figure it out on your own?

--Todd