[Tutor] cant get started

Alan G alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Sun Jul 31 10:20:40 CEST 2005

> it said this is for newbies but I download the 2.4 and I tried the
> stuff it
> said on the tutorial like the control-z or sys.exit () I tried the
> control-p
> or the python -c but it always says "'something' is not defined" or
> "  invalid
> syntax" where do I go or what do I do. do i go the the command  line
> or the
> shell cause I tried both please write me  back

OK, back to basics.

Assuming you got python installed ok you should go to the shell prompt
(from which I assume you are using Linux right?)

type python

you should wind up with a prompt like

Do you get that far?

If so type Ctrl-D to exit (Ctrl Z is for DOS, Ctrl D is the Unix
equivalent)

Repeat but try

>>> import sys
>>> sys.exit()

If that works then basically python is up and working OK.
Pick a tutorial, the official one if you have programmed before,
or one of the non programmers ones if you haven't.

When you hit problems lret us know
Which tutor,
where in the tutor,
what you tried and what happened that you didn't expect.
or what you don't understand.

And we will try to answer.

HTH,

Alan G