[Tutor] Strange IndexError

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 14 01:03:42 CEST 2005

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Willi Richert wrote:

> I used the same Pyro code, but this time with the release versions of
> player and stage. This time python crashed with a segfault:

Hi Willi,

If you see a segfault like this, it's almost definitely a bug in a
third-party module.  It is possible that the bug is in Python itself, but
since the Python core has been so well-tested, this is unlikely.

Bring this up to the Pyro folks so they can trace what looks like an
incorrect refcount problem somewhere in their C code or SWIG bindings.  I
don't think there's much else that you can do at this point, unless you
have written your code to use some substitute to Pyro.

If I had time, I'd be willing to look at the Pyro code and see what's
going on.  But the Pyro folks are probably the people to pester about
this, since this looks like a problem in their extension code.