[Tutor] A newbie question about running python scripts

typetext typetext at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 05:19:00 CEST 2005

I am trying to run my first python scripts from a windows XP command
line, and using Ivan Langhan's book Teach yourself python in 24 hours.
I have installed Active Python 2.4 and have had no trouble running the
scripts in the IDE . Following the instructions for running from a
command line, I type, for instance, Python, which brings up the
correct info and the ">> line". Then I type, for example,
helloworld.py., the name of the first script. Here is input, followed
by what happens:

>>>helloworld.py
Traceback (most recent call last)
File "<stdin>", line 1 in ?
NameError:name 'helloworld' is not defined

I know this must be a simple problem, but none of my saved scripts
work . They all work in the IDE mode. Would appreciate any help.

Michael Riggs
Seattle