[Tutor] Changing what you've already printed

Alan G alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Thu Jun 23 09:36:03 CEST 2005

> > Curses comes as standard on linux...
> >

>      More seriously, I seem to recall that on the contrary, the
> Windows Python distribution does not include the curses module

That's correct.

> have to use msvcrt[?] instead). I wonder why, because I'm pretty
sure
> I saw (C) curses-based applications running on Windows (NetHack is
> one, AFAIK).

There is a DOS implementation but
a) it is not complete and
b) it doesn't always work well.

But the problem for Python is that until someone builds a reliable
and complete C version for windoze the Python wrapper won't work...

I suspect part of the problem is that the DOS terminal, even
with ANSI mode switched on, which is not common nowadays, is
still pretty limited compared to a VT100/200 terminal
in terms of cursor control.

Alan G.