[Tutor] CGIXMLRPCRequestHandler doesn't actually work, does it?

Ron Phillips RPhillips at engineer.co.summit.oh.us
Fri Jun 24 14:26:41 CEST 2005

Thanks for your response, Shuying Wang -- I was afraid no one even read
the post. Now I see I wasn't clear.
Shuying Wang: I'm not sure what you're trying to do. But I run cgi
scripts and make
xmlrpc requests with xmlrpclib with a connection with
xmlrpclib.Server(server_uri), though I'm only doing this client side.
I'm not running the server as cgi.
I have a Python module that I am trying to expose via XMLRPC. I can get
it running by assigning a port on the server using
SimpleXMLRPCRequestHandler, but I would prefer to expose it through CGI
if possible. This seems to be the stated purpose of the
CGIXMLRPCRequestHandler, but I believe it is broken in some very serious
way.

The example code in the python online documentation calls a
non-existant "div" function, so it was obviously a typing exercise, not
actual code that anyone ever tested.

In researching the module, I found several requests on various mailing
lists for example code -- not a single one ever had a response. When
I've seen this before, it has turned out that either: a) it is terribly
difficult, or b)it is stupidly simple. Since this is a tutor list, and I
have seen the members graciously answer some questions that seemed
pretty simple, I thought I'd post it here.

Since the only response (yours -- thanks again for responding!) was
about xmlrpclib on the client side, not CGIXMLRPCRequestHandler on the
server side, I can now conclude that it is terribly difficult, and slink
off to publish using SOAP.

Ron

On 6/23/05, Ron Phillips <RPhillips at engineer.co.summit.oh.us> wrote:

> I believe I've tried every setting known to man, in every script in
every
> little scrap of documentation available. XMLRPC requests using
> SimpleXMLRPCRequestHandler -- no problem. But try to run them as a
CGI