[Tutor] Help with Tkinter teachers' report program?

Michael P. Reilly arcege at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 16:31:46 CEST 2005

On 6/24/05, Adam Cripps <kabads at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a teacher and have written this little Python/Tkinter application
> to help me with my report writing:
>
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/squawk/
>
> It's released under GPL and was quite fun to write.
>
> However, currently the application only allows for 15 statements to be
> managed. Increasing it to 25 would be easy. But I'm not sure how I
> would manage the widget to present 100 or organise the statements
> according to subjects.
>
> Can anyone have a look at the code - perhaps run it and if possible
> suggest a way of implementing many more statements? Tabbed frames
> would be a good way forward (where each tab is a school subject) but
> under Tkinter they don't appear to be that easy.

You can do tabbed frames in Tkinter. They take a little bit of coding, but
to get right, but it is certainly something to think about. You might want
to look into PMW (Python MegaWidgets) which is a Tkinter library. Myself, I
had always prefered to write things in Tkinter, but a lot of people like the
widget set in PMW.

As for scaling the statements you have, you might want to think about
putting the Label/Entry/Button widgets in a Frame with a Scrollbar widget.
Then you can add as many as you like and the user can scroll down to the
200th statement. (I'm assuming that the user fills out each statement one by
one, ugh!) Incidently, this Frame would be the same frame used for the
tabbing, I would expect.
-Arcege
--
There's so many different worlds,