[Tutor] CGIXMLRPCRequestHandler doesn't actually work, does it?

Ron Phillips RPhillips at engineer.co.summit.oh.us
Fri Jun 24 21:05:17 CEST 2005

Yes, I believe you are right -- I posted a reply to the list indicating
that I suspect IIS is at fault; not Python. Or perhaps I should say "my
installation of IIS"; I have no confidence whatsoever in my abilities to
administer IIS properly.

Thanks for looking at the documentation -- I was stuck using 2.3
because of some other modules I needed, so I didn't look at the 2.4
docs. That would have made me less angry, but the script still wouldn't
have run, because the problem (evidently) is in IIS, not my code.

I was really hard up against it -- no response at all from IIS, just a
lockup, and apparently when IIS locked up, it did so prior to writing to
the error log. When I tried using the CGIHTTPServer, everything I did
over the past 3 days worked without a hitch. What a relief!!

Now I just need to work around IIS -- and we don't use it outside the
firewall, anyway. I think I'll put Apache on my local machine and use
that.

Thanks, again

Ron

>>> Danny Yoo <dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu> 6/24/2005 2:44:44 PM >>>

> The example code in the python online documentation calls a
non-existant
> "div" function, so it was obviously a typing exercise, not actual
code
> that anyone ever tested.

Hi Ron,

Ah, ok, I see.  Check the bottom of:

    http://www.python.org/doc/lib/simple-xmlrpc-servers.html

for a working example of that div function in the MyFuncs class.

I believe that the example you were looking at earlier, near the
bottom
of:

    http://www.python.org/doc/lib/node556.html

has is a documentation bug: the intent is clearly to compare and
contrast
SimpleXMLRPCServer and CGIXMLRPCRequestHandler, so the code should be
using the same example.  The fact that it isn't is confusing, and
should
be fixed.  I'll send a bug report now.  http://python.org/sf/1227181

Try Kent's example again; XMLRPC stuff is itself not too bad.  Your
two
assumptions:

    1.  It's too easy to mention, and not worth talking about
    2.  It's too hard in practice, and not worth talking about

are too black-and-white: XMLRPC itself is not bad at all, but CGI
stuff
can be maddeningly difficult at first, because it involves not only
Python
but also integration with an external web server.

What I think you're running into is the CGI part, the part that
doesn't
debug as easily, just because error output doesn't automatically send
the browser --- that would be a security risk! --- but instead is
shuttled
off to your web server's error log file.  So take a closer look at
your
web server's error logs; I wouldn't be surprised to see some Python
error
messages there that should help to isolate the issue.

Best of wishes to you!