[Tutor] Re: How to read unicode strings from a binary file and display them as plain ascii?

R. Alan Monroe amonroe at columbus.rr.com
Fri Mar 4 00:10:37 CET 2005

>>>   I don't understand what you tried to accomplish here.
>> That's evidence of what I failed to accomplish. My expected results
>> was to print the word "Copyright" and whatever other strings are
>> present in the font, with no intervening NUL characters.

>    Oh but why print type(stuff)
To make sure it really came back as <type 'unicode'>, as opposed to
<type 'str'>.

>  or 'stuff'?
Personal tradition :^)

The outcome of the project was this: Firefox would not display bold
text correctly when I selected "Futura Lt BT" as my font (it would
display a stretched version of the Light font, even though I also had
"Futura Bold BT" in my fonts folder).

After some googling, I figured out that (if I understand it right)
Windows groups plain fonts and bold fonts together based on their
internal family name, which turned out to be different between the two

Font Family name : Futura Lt BT
Font Subfamily name : Light

Font Family name : Futura Md BT
Font Subfamily name : Bold

So as best I can tell, the d*mb*asses that made Word Perfect Office
2002 (pre-loaded on my computer when I bought it) failed to give me
the entire font family.