[Tutor] Newbie question.

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Fri Mar 4 12:16:40 CET 2005

There are many tutorials available, see http://www.python.org/doc/Intros.html for one list.

> I have an xp windows and ms office machine. (I'm considering linux, but
> it's a bit daunting?)
>
> How do I run python scripts? Nothing happens when I double-click the
> filename, in IDLE I only get the code, and not what it does.

You can run the program in IDLE using Run / Run Module (F5).

> I know that cgi-scripts must be called from html. I want to to use a
> python server for testing. Which is thebest, and how?

There are many options for web programming, one list is here:
http://www.python.org/moin/WebProgramming

In addition to CherryPy and Quixote, Snakelets is a complete web solution that is intended to be
easy to learn.
Twisted and Zope are perhaps the most comprehensive solutions.

Kent