[Tutor] Anyone know of a window utility to reverse engineer unknown binary graphic file format?

R. Alan Monroe amonroe at columbus.rr.com
Sat Mar 5 23:11:29 CET 2005

I know it's a long shot but...

I have some graphics files from an old DOS game that I want to convert to
a normal .png or whatever. Anyone know of a program that can load
binary data and view it multiple different ways? Like treating the raw
data as 1 bit, 4 bit, 8 bit, planar, linear, adjust the pitch and
offset, etc. in some kind of GUI until you get a recognizable image?

The game reads its graphic files in 512 byte increments at runtime,
judging by sysinterals filemon. This gave me a little hope that the
graphics are uncompressed even multiples of 512 bytes each.

I used python to read the 1st 512 bytes of the file and output it to
another file, for experimentation. I wrote a script to read that in
and output the high 4 bits as a byte, and the low 4 bits as a
subsequent byte, but that image didn't really look like anything
recognizable, loading it as raw into Photoshop.

Alan