[Tutor] (no subject)

Adam Cripps kabads at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 08:41:30 CET 2005

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 07:38:54 +0000, Adam Cripps <kabads at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 12:14:28 -0500, Brian van den Broek
> <bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> Kevin said unto the world upon 2005-03-04 10:43:
> > Hello all. I have just completed my very first python program just a
> > simple number guessing. I would like for someone to try it out if they
> > could and let me know how I did with it and where I could have
> > improved apon it. There are t files main.py and defs.py
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Though I am a learner, too, I have a few comments. They are more about
> style than substance.
>
> 1) A lot of your code comments get in the way of my reading and easily
> understanding the code. Consider:
>
> .# leading `.'s to foil google groups and other whitespace stripping
> readers
> .if play == '3': #If user picks 3
> .    print "\nHave a nice day!\n" #Tell them to have a nice day
> .        sys.exit() #Then exit the entire thing
>
> I think this would be much easier to read if it were like:
>
> .if play == '3':                        # If user picks 3
> .    print "\nHave a nice day!\n"       # Tell them to have a nice day
> .        sys.exit()                     # Then exit the entire thing
>
> (Note that some people hate the comments along the side and would
> prefer them the precede the line(s) they comment on. I like the 2
> column approach, but that's just one duffer's view.)
>
> But, even better would be:
>
> .if play == '3':
> .    print "\nHave a nice day!\n"
> .        sys.exit()

<snip>

Is the tutor list mirrored on usenet such as google groups? I've
searched and not found it. I think it's a bit harsh to blame the style
on a client that strips white-space, where he has no control over it.
Are we not better off using another client?

I use gmail [1] to collect this kind of email and using the recent thread
entitle "Reading Tutor with gmail: monospace fonts" have managed to
make my mail monospace, which makes it a lot easier to read.  None of
the whitespace was stripped in my mail, and the style looked fine. In
fact, by littering it with '.' you are making it more of a task to run
this script, as you have to strip all the '.' out first - a real pain.

Adam

[1] Although gmail is far from perfect.