[Tutor] (no subject)

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Sun Mar 6 16:54:02 CET 2005

> Is the tutor list mirrored on usenet such as google groups? I've
> searched and not found it.

Nope, the archives are available but there is no usenet mirroe.

> I think it's a bit harsh to blame the style
> on a client that strips white-space, where he has no control over
it.
> Are we not better off using another client?

Unfortunately there seem to be several clients that do this.
And in fat even clients that don;t do it can be configured to do so!
It seems to be particularly true of HTML based mail tools, yet
another reason to avoid HTML mail!.

> the whitespace was stripped in my mail, and the style looked fine.
In
> fact, by littering it with '.' you are making it more of a task to
run
> this script, as you have to strip all the '.' out first - a real
pain.

Most decent text editors can do a search/replace on the start of line,

in vim for example...

But you are right, it does clutter it up, but rather that than lose
the
all important formatting due to some rogue email client (or even
server
in some cases!)

Alan G.