[Tutor] Intro for interfacing with Microsoft Access?

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Mar 7 01:53:02 CET 2005

[Terry Carroll]
>>> Does anyone know of any online resource that explains how to
>>> interface to Microsoft Access via Python, where the intended
>>> audience is someone who knows Python, but not the Microsoft innards?

[Tony Meyer]
>> These two pages are quite good:
>>
>> <http://starship.python.net/crew/bwilk/access.html>
>> <http://www.ecp.cc/pyado.html>

[Terry Carroll]
> Thanks.  Unfortunately, both of those seem to assume you know
> Python and the Win APIs, but not how to connect the, For
> someone who doesn't know the APIs, they're actually not very helpful.

The second link has very simple steps - you basically just retype the code
from steps 1 to 3 and you're all connected.  Then pick one of the following
steps, depending on what you want to (read, insert, etc), and retype the
code from there.  Once you have the recordset object (steps 1-3), you can
easily modify the existing examples to do whatever you want just by
referencing the reference material in Access itself (I forget what it's
called - the object reference material that you get to via the macro stuff).

When I first needed to work with Access, I knew nothing about ADO or coding
Access, but something about writing Python, and this got me up and running
very easily.

> But I do appreciate you taking the time to point them out.

No worries.

=Tony.Meyer