[Tutor] help me please!!!

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Sat Mar 12 03:03:20 CET 2005

Jeff420harris00 at wmconnect.com said unto the world upon 2005-03-11 20:21:
> ok i just restarted my pc and it works now thank you ..ok when i go to the
> start menu then go to all programs then to python 2.4 it gives me five things ok
> it says IDLE (python GUI)
> Module Docs
> python (command line)
> python manuals
> uninstall python
>  When i click on IDLE (python GUI) the screan pops up and at the top it say
> python shell

*PLEASE* Reply to All.
(For the reasons Danny Yoo mentioned. More than once.)

Yes, the window that pops up and is entitled 'Python Shell' is IDLE's
enhanced python shell. I believe that 'python shell' (without further
modification) is conventionally understood to mean the bare Python
shell one gets from clicking on  Python (command line). (That is the
same you get by opening a DOS box and typing Python.)

The IDLE shell is only a part of the IDLE program. (Try File->New
Window. Now you've got an IDLE editor window where you can write,
save, and load scripts.[1].) The IDLE shell is enhanced by things such
as syntax highlighting, and, compared to the bare shell on my Windows
version at least, a scrollable and saveable history. There are also
things that won't work well from the IDLE shell -- since it is itself
a Python Tkinter GUI program, running a Tkinter GUI program from
within it doesn't work too well.

[1] To stave off future worries -- when saving a script from IDLE, you
have to explicitly give it the .py extension if you want your script
to have it. (You do -- it makes it runable in Windows by double-click
on the icon and tells IDLE to use the Python syntax highlighting which
makes editing Python code much easier.)

Best,

Brian vdB