[Tutor] help

C Smith smichr at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 14 06:48:07 CET 2005

On Sunday, Mar 13, 2005, at 05:01 America/Chicago,
tutor-request at python.org wrote:

> if this is not a program please teach me what is a
> program and what i need to know to write them and if this is a program
> teach me
> how to write better programs i can use outside of the python shell...

OK, how about this for starters:

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCS/python/english/

This is an introductory html text that can act as a teacher for you.
(There are some other resources at that address, too.)  It is the text
that I used in an introductory programming class that I taught. As you
go through this you sill start to learn the answers to your questions.

As to your desire to write programs you can use outside the
shell...well that will come after you have an idea of what you would
like to do and learn how to "say it" with a language.  But at this
point I think your main task will be to learn how to "say things" in
general.  Python is a nice language to work with in this regard.

/c