[Tutor] strange hotshot error

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 15 23:58:11 CET 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 tpc at csua.berkeley.edu wrote:

> hi Danny, I had no idea Debian split its profiler into a separate
> package in the testing distro.  That would explain it, except I am using
> Debian unstable with Debian stable for security packages, as my "more
> /etc/apt/sources.list" output is:

Hi Tpc,

This is starting to turn more into a Debian question than a Python one.
*grin* I would talk with other debian folks about your sources.list: I
don't think that the security package set is very effective when you're
running unstable...

Because Debian "unstable" is even more unstable than Debian "testing", I
wouldn't be surprised that it, too, has the profiler separate from the
main Python package:

    http://packages.debian.org/unstable/python/python2.3-profiler

Hotshot requires that the profiler be installed, so apt-get it, and see if
things start to work again.

> The following is the output from the steps you suggested:

> version is 2.3.5 (#2, Feb  9 2005, 00:38:15)
> [GCC 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-8)]
> python lib is
> /usr/lib/python2.3
> System path is: ['/home/tpc', '/usr/bin', '/usr/lib/python23.zip',
> '/usr/lib/python2.3', '/usr/lib/python2.3/plat-linux2',
> '/usr/lib/python2.3/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload',
> '/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages',
> '/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages',
> '/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/Numeric',
> '/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gtk-2.0']

Yes, all of that looks normal.  I'm pretty sure that the error message
that you're getting is ultimately due to Debian's package policy.

Best of wishes to you!