[Tutor] how to initialize a class with arbitrary argument list from a file?

Christian Meesters meesters at uni-mainz.de
Fri Mar 18 13:04:40 CET 2005

Hi

How can I initialize a class like this from a file:
class Some:
	def __init__(self,data,axis,**kwargs):
		pass

'data' and 'axis' should be lists of floats. Meta data can be passed to
kwargs like 'name="name",date="2/3/05",...'.
Right now the return value of my function reading the file looks like
this:
dummy = fromFile(path)
print dummy
[[[datalist],[axislist],'name="name"','date="2/3/05"',...],...]

And, of course, initializing Some with dummy[0] like: Some(dummy[0])
will throw an exception; a TypeError, since the argument list is not of
the right length and of the wrong type.
Well, I've tried a few things to solve this problem, but didn't
succeed: How do I have to alter FromFile() so, that I can use dummy to
initialize Some? Oh, and I should mention that **kwargs can be of
arbitrary length: __init__ has default values for every keyword not
given.
And for the record: I'm still stuck with version 2.3 until I'll upgrade
to Tiger (on OSX).

I'm totally lost. It would be great if you could help me out here.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Christian