[Tutor] A Newbie Printing Question

John Fouhy jfouhy at paradise.net.nz
Tue Mar 29 21:22:11 CEST 2005

Richard Lyons wrote:
> I have little experience with programming.  I have Python installed on a
>  Windows XP system.  What code do I need to use to send output from a
> Python script to a local printer attached to my workstation?  to a
> network printer?

The win32print module (in Matt Hammond's windows modules) may help.
eg:

     pid = win32print.OpenPrinter(win32print.GetDefaultPrinter())
     win32print.StartDocPrinter(pid, 1, ('My print job', None, 'raw'))
     win32print.WritePrinter(pid, s)
     win32print.EndDocPrinter(pid)
     win32print.ClosePrinter(pid)

When I did this, I was printing to a postscript printer, and I wasn't
printing anything that required complex layout.  So I generated the
postscript code myself, and then just sent it straight to the printer...

--
John.