[Tutor] I am puzzled - help needed

jfouhy at paradise.net.nz jfouhy at paradise.net.nz
Thu Mar 31 01:04:35 CEST 2005

Quoting John Carmona <jeannot18 at hotmail.com>:

> Hi John, thanks for the reply.

Hey John,

Please reply to the list, rather than to people directly.  Clicking "reply to
all" is probably what you want.

> Ok No. 1, I have read about "ctime" which convert a time expressed in
> seconds since the epoch to a string representing local time

Nah, it's much, much simpler than that.

time.time just returns a floating point number.  How do you convert a number
into a string?

> No. 3 why do I need to convert them into an integer, if I manage to get
> the last 2 character this will be a whole number, no?

Programming languages differentiate between numbers and strings.  32 is a
number; you can do computations with it (add, multply, etc).  "32" is a string;
this means it is the character "3" followed by the character "2".  Python (and
most other programming languages) treats them very differently.

example:

>>> x = 32
>>> x + 1
33
>>> x * 3 / 4
24
>>> s = "32"
>>> s + "1"
'321'
>>> s + "foo"
'32foo'

You have to decide what you need.  Your program compars numbers with the answer
(your random number).  In order to do this comparison, you need to have your
answer as a number, not as a string.

Hope this helps.

--
John.