[Tutor] A simple question about creating a program

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 23:07:18 CEST 2005

Just to be picky...

> code to be executed by the processor. Machine language is not
> object-oriented.

In some cases it is. The Rekursiv computer by Linn systems had
a CPU that had an OO machine language which supported parallelism
by exposing 'threads' as active objects at the machine code level.
But if we leave experimental architectures aside and deal with
the 99.99% of mainstream you are of coure correct :-)

> It's not even procedural, or anything.

And again some chips have been built with Forth as their
native machine code (or more accurately with a FOrth intetpreter
as their microcode) and it is procedural. And again such chips,
while available commercially never exactly made it to mainstream.

And if Sun ever get round to finishing their JVM on a chip
we'll have a chip that is both OO and procedural!

> Any program can be written in any (Turing-complete) programming
> language.

And again thats only true for algorithmically biased programs,
event driven code integrated with the external environment
needs to be more than simply Turing complete. A Turing complete
language may have no I/O capability or interface to OS or
hardware events, thus making event driven code impossible.

But again I'm being picky, it must be the time of night!

Alan G.