[Tutor] Appending to many lists with list comprehension

Bernard Lebel 3dbernard at gmail.com
Tue May 3 05:57:24 CEST 2005

Hello,

I have an object, and this object has attributes. These attributes are
objects in their own right, and each attribute also have its own attributes.

So I loop over the "top" object, and for each attribute encountered, I
want to put in a list two of the attributes of this attribute. Hope it
makes sense.

Right now, here is what I'm doing:

aList = [ [], [] ]

# Iterate attributes of the top object
for oAttribute in oObj.attributes:

	# Append to list 0 the attribute "type" of the current attribute
	aList[0].append( str(oAttribute.type) )

	# Append to list 1 the attribute "name" of the current attribute
	aList[1].append( str(oAttribute.name) )

Instead of having two separate lists and a for loop, I'd like to perform
a list comprehension that would do this all in one go, if this is doable.

Thanks
Bernard