[Tutor] No Need to press Enter

Chris Smith smichr at bigfoot.com
Thu May 5 07:11:48 CEST 2005

> From: Joseph Quigley

> What is the secret to have the user press the "Q" key, and the program
> exits without pressing the "Enter" key?
> Or the "Control" and "Q" keys to exit?
> For the Macintosh, would the same command/s for "Control Q" keys be the
> same as the "Apple Q" key?

I see that Diane has suggested (what I believe to be) a pyGame
solution.  I had asked this question before and Danny Yoo wrote up a
script that is posted at

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/134892

With the modifications that I added (just before sending this) the code
there has the ability to get the getch() behavior (not having to press
enter) on the Mac (whether you are running under the pythonIDE or the
Terminal), Windows, or Unix.

An example of usage (assuming that the code is stored in a file named
getch.py) might be,

###
import getch
inkey = getch._Getch()