[Tutor] Removing lines in string-table

Max Noel maxnoel_fr at yahoo.fr
Tue May 17 15:40:00 CEST 2005

On May 17, 2005, at 08:52, Olli Rajala wrote:

> Okay,
> I have a string table (don't recall the right word used in Python
> right now)

     It's called a list, or an array.

> and would like to remove every 'cell' that contains a
> string '_thumb.jpg'. There are 1-> digits before the string if that
> matters. I made a for-loop that does what I want to:
>
> for line in fileNames:
>     if line[-10:] == '_thumb.jpg':
>         fileNames.remove(line)
>
> But I really doubt that it's not the best way to do this. So, any
> comments are really appreciated.

     Looks like a job for a list comprehension:

fileNames = [element for element in fileNames if not element.endswith
("_thumb.jpg")]

-- Max
maxnoel_fr at yahoo dot fr -- ICQ #85274019
"Look at you hacker... A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting
and sweating as you run through my corridors... How can you challenge
a perfect, immortal machine?"