[Tutor] better resolution on time.sleep()?

Alan G alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Thu May 26 23:52:38 CEST 2005

> Rumor has it that Alan G may have mentioned these words:
>
> >Consuming 100% CPU won't make much difference, the CPU is running
all
> >the time anyway (when its not asleep).
>
> Not mine... my laptop runs a Crusoe processor, and it can
automatically
> scale itself from 300Mhz to 933Mhz. It's called "LongRun"
technology,

Ah yes indeed, I confess I forgot about that little trick.

But the real point I was trying to make was that the CPU itself is not
usually the biggest drain on battery compared to HD and modems, WiFi,
BlueTooth etc.

If I activate my PCMCIA(??) modem my laptop life drops from 3-4 hours
down to 45 minutes or so! And leaving my WiFi connection enabled on
a train means I pick up any other WiFi enabled laptop and it cuts
battery life by an hour compared to when I disable the WiFi...

Alan G.