[Tutor] : [Slightly OT] Using Python to intercept audio from a program

Orri Ganel singingxduck at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 03:40:49 CET 2005

Hello all,

A week or two ago I sent in a few emails regarding using threads in
automating conversion between wav's and mp3's using lame.  However, the
program I use to generate these wav's, Audacity
<http://audacity.sourceforge.net/> (a great program, btw), can't record
directly from another program, but instead catches all audio directed at
the speakers.  Being the person I am, I'm never patient enough to sit
there and do nothing else while I record these wav's, so I do other
things in the background.  Unfortunately, with the current setup, any
sounds generated by these background activities end up in the wav
files.  So I asked on the audacity-help mailing list whether audacity
has the capability to record directly from another program, and the
answer, sadly, was no. At least, not for Windows.  So what I would like
to do is attempt the same with Python, though right now I have only the
vaguest of ideas on how to proceed.  If anyone could point me in the
right direction, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Orri

--
Email: singingxduck AT gmail DOT com