[Tutor] Random Q on Python's internals?

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 1 07:31:44 CET 2005

> I was perusing the standard library, and was wondering if anyone knew
> how the internals of Python work, roughly or no.
> Basically, I assume os.pipe() resides in a DLL somewhere, yet when I
> open up Python24.DLL in PEexplorer I can't find mention of pipes
> anywhere...

Hi Liam,

os.pipe() comes from the block of code near the top of os.py:

where it starts to talk to platform-specific modules like 'nt' and
'posix'.  The 'os.py' module is a sponge that absorbs the content of
platform-specific modules in an attempt to make things look platform
independent.  *grin*

pipe() really comes from the posix/nt module, whose implementation can be
found here:

Best of wishes!