[Tutor] Is Python a good choise for this project?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Sat Nov 5 09:53:51 CET 2005

> I'm in the process of chosing a technology for the implementation of a
> system that will have a Map builder wich will allow the users to draw a
> map
> using several construction pieces. This map will then be used in the core
> of the program where some pathfinding will be done - and then some
> animation showing a character going around the map. The interface will be
> simple, a grid and some images that can be chosen to ocuppy spots in the
> grid. Input done with the mouse.
>
> Since I don't know Python (altough I've looked some examples) I am looking
> for suggestions... do you think it's a good option to go with Python

Python is capable of building such a system if thats what you mean.
Proivided high performance (real time rapid animation say) is not required
then it should perform adequately. But it will require quite a bit of
learning,
not just the core language but a GUI toolkit, and maybe the PyGame
framework too.

> graphics lib, like Pygame)? Other alternatives at this point are Java and
> C/SDL/Allegro.

If you already know these environments and have built similar applications
in them you may be faster sticking with them. But if you have the time and
energy to learn a new language then Python offers the promise of more rapid
development in the future and easier maintenance. If you know Java you
might consider using Jython to write the core objects and Java to do the
GUI parts - Jython makes Python objects that are also valid Java objects
and vice versa.

If you are completely new to programming then you have a big challenge
ahead regardless of language but Python is probably easier to learn than
the others mentioned.

HTH,

Alan G
Author of the learn to program web tutor